This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Microsoft Edge

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:08 PM
Anyone have any ideas on how I can add Microsoft Edge to the Browser Chooser?
Coordinator
Nov 11, 2015 at 8:27 PM
It appears that edge is located in the following folder:
C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe

You can add it like any other browser. Do not turn on IE mode.

I do not know if the characters at the end are the same on every machine. Please let me know and I will add the proper detections in the next version.
Nov 13, 2015 at 5:57 PM
That did not work. The icon appears in the BrowserChooser Menu, but it won't launch. It looks like it is a little more involved, but I am not sure how to do this in BrowserChooser:

http://techish.net/create-a-microsoft-edge-desktop-shortcut-in-windows-10/
Coordinator
Nov 13, 2015 at 7:38 PM
bshamster1 wrote:
That did not work. The icon appears in the BrowserChooser Menu, but it won't launch. It looks like it is a little more involved, but I am not sure how to do this in BrowserChooser:

http://techish.net/create-a-microsoft-edge-desktop-shortcut-in-windows-10/
Interesting. I will try something this weekend. Seems like you need to put microsoft-edge: as the path. But that might crash BC2.
Nov 28, 2015 at 9:45 PM
Launching EGDE from the command line is done like this: C:\Windows\Explorer.exe microsoft-edge:
If you want to pass a URL, use: C:\Windows\Explorer.exe microsoft-edge:http://www.microsoft.com
A batch file like this works: (A website can be passed or not)
@echo off
start "" "C:\Windows\Explorer.exe" "microsoft-edge:%* "

So, in Browser Chooser, this works for me:
Path: c:\windows\explorer.exe
I have "is Internet explorer checked, but I don't know if that matters or not. Haven't tested with it off.
Arguments: microsoft-edge:
For the icon, I found the edge directory in C:\Windows\SystemApps\
In my case, that is Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe (perhaps that is "standard," but I was suspicious / concerned the numbers might change as revs change over time, but I don't know that for sure.
Anyway, in there is an "assets" directory. (Full path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\Assets)
In there are a bunch of png files. I found the one I liked and copied it to another directory. Then I used that path for the icon.
You could probably just used one of those files directly and fix it if the path changes in the future.

I hope this helps.

Rick
Nov 30, 2015 at 7:14 PM
This worked perfectly for me. Thanks!
Coordinator
Jan 7, 2016 at 1:16 PM
sakima wrote:
Launching EGDE from the command line is done like this: C:\Windows\Explorer.exe microsoft-edge:
If you want to pass a URL, use: C:\Windows\Explorer.exe microsoft-edge:http://www.microsoft.com
A batch file like this works: (A website can be passed or not)
@echo off
start "" "C:\Windows\Explorer.exe" "microsoft-edge:%* "

So, in Browser Chooser, this works for me:
Path: c:\windows\explorer.exe
I have "is Internet explorer checked, but I don't know if that matters or not. Haven't tested with it off.
Arguments: microsoft-edge:
For the icon, I found the edge directory in C:\Windows\SystemApps\
In my case, that is Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe (perhaps that is "standard," but I was suspicious / concerned the numbers might change as revs change over time, but I don't know that for sure.
Anyway, in there is an "assets" directory. (Full path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\Assets)
In there are a bunch of png files. I found the one I liked and copied it to another directory. Then I used that path for the icon.
You could probably just used one of those files directly and fix it if the path changes in the future.

I hope this helps.

Rick
Just getting back to this - thanks to a change of jobs.

Thansk for the solution, now I can build it in to the tool. I just need to modify the detection routines.

About the Is IE checkbox, that changes the way IE is loaded. BC2 looks for a loaded copy of IE and if found, opens a new tab. So I would turn it off for Edge - if you had IE open, the url would open in IE instead of Edge.

I may just use detection instead of the check box since IE is always installed to the same location.

Also, While I don't expect the path to change, I will make sure BC2 can handle that fact.

Thanks!
Coordinator
Mar 25, 2016 at 4:54 PM
Just to notify that I have pushed a commit over at bitbucket that finally resolves this issue. I expect a Beta 2 release (via BitBucket) in mid to late April.
Mar 27, 2016 at 8:12 PM
gmyx wrote:
Just to notify that I have pushed a commit over at bitbucket that finally resolves this issue. I expect a Beta 2 release (via BitBucket) in mid to late April.
Yay! Can't wait, at this software is one of the first things I set up on any new system I use.