This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Windows 10 integration

Oct 8, 2015 at 8:46 PM
Hi,

the tool is a great idea, something I was looking for.

It does not work on windows 10

1) browser icons are grayed out
2) all settings are reset every time the program is launched
3) Adding it to the default programs is not working
4) setting it to be the default "browser" brings an error

I hope this can be fixed to make this a workable tool

thanks
Coordinator
Oct 9, 2015 at 2:04 PM
  1. browser icons are grayed out
    Sounds like a settings issue, could you post your BrowserChooser2.xml file. It is found under %appdata%\browserchoose2 folder
  2. all settings are reset every time the program is launched
    might be related to above - if you have no file it might be a permission issue.
  3. Adding it to the default programs is not working
    I will have to test it to see what happens. I am still using 8.1 and haven't upgraded
  4. setting it to be the default "browser" brings an error
    same a 3. I have to download windows 10 to see that is happening. I will try this weekend and see what is happening.
Oct 10, 2015 at 4:54 PM
Yeah, I have yet to experience any of the issues that tschino is experiencing on Win 10 - and I have been using it on Win 10 for quite a while now.

I wonder if this has to do with the file either being read only or else the settings dialog (tab) not getting admin privileges when trying to add the program to the default programs list.

Win10 still has an annoying habit of asking me if I am sure I want BC to be the default handler for the protocols I have selected - I've written in to the Insider hub more than once that this behavior needs to stop, but it (only) seems to happen after a major update comes out....

But none of the errors noted above.
Oct 11, 2015 at 8:04 PM
Edited Oct 11, 2015 at 8:05 PM
Thank you for your comments. They pointed me in the right direction.
As I went to get the config file, I discovered that I had some leftovers from the previous version.
I decided to remove both the old and the Version 2 files and to start over.

This has resolved the issues.
I was able to integrate it and the icons are no longer grayed out, and settings are maintained as well.

Thank you.