This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Grayed out items (+ a couple other small things)

May 5, 2015 at 2:12 AM
Heyas gmyx,

I just grabbed the latest alpha and noticed a couple things I thought I'd mention. the main one is that the browser icons are grayed out when I try to open a URL. See screenshot:

I can't click on any of them to have the browser launch. I can however, still launch it using the hotkey for that browser.

The other small things are mostly just GUI presentation things, quickly resolvable:
  • I noticed several misspellings throughout the app =), the most visible one is right on the main window where "automatically" is mispelled.
  • The font for that same line is kinda "ick". =) Is it using the system font, but set to bold? It looks all weird.
  • There's an ugly black outline on any selected button; when no button is selected, the "about" button automatically gets the outline, I assume because it's tabindex is 1?
  • When I set the Titlebar text to blank, the dash still shows. it'd be kinda nice to just exclude the hardcoded-in dash, and let the user add the dash themselves as they like. or at minimum, do an if/else on an empty string. i.e. if string.empty = true (don't add the dash), else (add the dash).
  • An option to automatically scale browser icons would be nice. I noticed if I add a custom icon of say, 128x128 the icon shows at that size which looks huge and awkward when the rest are say 32x32. An option to toggle scaling would allow anyone who wants different sized icons to have that, and for those who want uniform sized icons would also be able to do so.
  • Some of the alignments in the options are off; example, in the below screenshot, the left border gets cut off.

Hope that's not too much! lol
Coordinator
May 5, 2015 at 8:11 PM
  • Not sure why all your icons are disabled. I wonder if there was an upgrade error for your settings file. Can you send me your configuration file (browserchooser2.xml).
  • About the misspellings, well, that was never my strong suit. I will fix any that are brought to my attention - I just won't notice them :)
  • The "ugly" font is caused by transparency. I had tried to fix this by redrawing but was having issues. I will revisit it for the next release.
  • The ugly black outline is there because of accessibility. You need to have a focus indicator to be accessibility compliant. I thought of providing an option to disable it since it does distract form the look. And yes, "about" gets it because it is next in line.
  • Removing the "-" seems simple. Or maybe just move it to settings so people can choose for themselves
  • I will have to try a few things to scale icons correctly. Should be simple.
  • I will fix that alignment issue.
An no, it is not too much!
May 5, 2015 at 11:43 PM
Edited May 6, 2015 at 3:41 AM
Regarding the spelling stuff, I noticed it mostly with the word "Automatically" and "browser" (misspelled as "broswer", or something like that, lol).

Here's my config .xml. at a glance I don't see anything strange about it, but you may. It's also interesting to note that while those are grayed out, the Info and Options buttons are still clickable.

I wonder if the transparency with the label might be fixed by adding a statusbar to the form and putting it there?

I did download the source code last night, and poke around a bit before I went to bed; I "fixed" the "-" thing on my version, I just removed it basically. i.e.
Public Sub HandleLostFocus(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnInfo.MouseLeave, btnInfo.LostFocus, btnOptions.MouseLeave, btnOptions.LostFocus, btnCopyToClipboard.LostFocus, btnCopyToClipboard.MouseLeave, btnCopyToClipboardAndClose.MouseLeave, btnCopyToClipboardAndClose.LostFocus

msCurrentText = gSettings.DefaultMessage

If gSettings.ShowURL = True Then
            Me.Text = String.Format("{0}{1}", msCurrentText, StartupLauncher.URL) <-----
        Else
            Me.Text = msCurrentText
        End If

End Sub
I also fixed the alignment issues, but I got all caught up and changed several things around, lol, so not sure how much of it you'd want to merge. For example, I moved things around a bit and re-sized the options form a bit, and changed a lot of the concatenated strings into string.format, like the above code snippet. Once I get a chance I'll try adding it as a repo here for ya to take a look at. (I've always used github, so I'm not really familiar with CodePlex repos.)
May 6, 2015 at 12:33 AM
Edited May 6, 2015 at 3:42 AM
Looks like the graying out issue has to do with this:
If Not StartupLauncher.SupportingBrowsers.Contains(lBrowser.GUID) Then
    'lControls(lIndex).Enabled = False
End If
Commented out, they aren't grayed out. Seems like the SupportingBrowsers list might be the problem; it's always "0", though the lBrowser.GUID does contain the GUID.
Coordinator
May 6, 2015 at 2:40 AM
I'll be quick since I'm getting ready for bed. I think I see the problem with your XML file. You have advanced screens on but for some reason no categories. If I have time tomorrow, I will check certain things.

As for CodePlex, this repo is using SVN and and you can submit patches.
May 6, 2015 at 3:43 AM
Edited May 6, 2015 at 4:10 AM
Hmmm, I never realized categories and the advanced options were tied together.

Update: I went through and added categories to all of the browsers I have in the list, but the items are still grayed out.
Coordinator
May 6, 2015 at 1:20 PM
I now what is happening. It seems your settings file did not get upgraded properly. Not sure why.

If you edit your BrowserChooser2Config.xml and set <FileVersion> to 1, it will re-trigger the upgrade and create the missing items.

Basicly, you are missing the protocols and filetypes sections.

Did you at any point use the self-compiled version before the release of Alpha 3? At one point the upgrader was not implemented but the file version increased.
May 6, 2015 at 11:45 PM
That took care of it. :)

To be honest, I don't recall which versions I jumped between, it's been awhile, but you may be right.
May 20, 2015 at 6:18 PM
I had the same problem and setting <FileVersion> to 1 also fixed this for me.