Auto URLs

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:20 PM
Edited Apr 1, 2015 at 9:24 PM
Hi,

Really like your tool! I only found out today that I'm not the only one loosing time copying and pasting hyperlinks :) So I downloaded α3 and took it for a spin. I think the concept is brilliant. I can see why it's still in Alpha, but it looks very promising.

Basically I don't need to be prompted for every link. In most cases I just want to open a link in Fifefox, only for the company intranet I need Internet Exporer, so I was very pleased to find the Auto-URLs option.
I added a few hosts, assigned them to IE and that worked perfectly.
I then took it one step further and assigned a single '*' to Firefox, with the goal to trick Browser Chooser into opening all other URL's with Firefox. This works as I expected: The browsers of choice are opened directly without Browser Chooser prompting.

But... when I then started the BC2 executable directly, Firefox was opened instead (or more likely BC2 directly launched FF and exited, but I wasn't able to track that). So I couldn't start the BC2 GUI anymore. I edited the XML to remove the '*' from the Auto-URLs and now BC just starts normally again.
I experimented a bit with 'http://*', but with the same result; BC keeps hiding.

I don't know if this is expected behavior or a bug, just thought I'd let you know. Maybe I'm just not using it as it was intended.

Anyway, is it possible to have this as an option: Set your favourite browser as default for all URLs and use Auto-URLs to redirect to an other browser? So basically use BC2 without prompting. I did find the option 'Is Active' in the edit Browsers/Application settings, which I thought might just do this, but I don't see any difference in behaviour by checking or unchecking this.

TIA and keep up the good work!

BC2 α3 on Windows 7
Coordinator
Apr 2, 2015 at 12:48 PM
pietjeprecies, That is definitely a bug. You should be able to return to the main interface without mucking around the xml file.

Currently, the is no favorite/default browser inside of BC2 - your approach of the wildcard is probably the simplest.

I am glad you are enjoying it as much as I do. Having some things open in IE and others in different browsers is so much easier.
Marked as answer by gmyx on 4/2/2015 at 5:49 AM
Jul 10, 2015 at 3:24 PM
This is the exact behavior I'm looking for as well. I only have a few exceptions that need to open is a different browser and would prefer to just specify the exceptions and have the default browser open otherwise.

Using the http://* trick has works for me, maybe because it's last in my list.
Coordinator
Jul 11, 2015 at 1:55 PM
Glad to hear it ALuckyGuy.

It is definitely not the core purpose, but certainly an interesting way to use it. That is the beauty of the flexibility of the system.

As for putting http://* last, yes definitely leave it there. The list is processed in order, top to bottom. As soon as it finds a match it stops processing.
Jul 13, 2015 at 9:26 PM
Hmm... I thought it was working but I discovered I had a problem when I started the app again. When I tried to open Browser Chooser 2 to change my configuration - I wanted to add another website that would open in IE - instead my "default browser" opened. Double-clicking Browser Chooser 2 would simple open Chrome.

Suspecting that it was opening and not actually verifying it has a URL to process, I opened the XML config file and modified my "default browser" URL to be http://.* Now I can open it again and add new values. In retrospect, I probably should have specified http://.+ but it works.

Also, since the list is processed in top to bottom order and regex's are supported, the ability to reorder items would be helpful. As it is now, if I add a new entry I have to open the XML file and reorder the items manually since I need the "default browser" option to be last.

Thanks again!
Coordinator
Jul 14, 2015 at 11:58 AM
Both things you mention are true. I have already fixed the first problem in the source code. I will be fixing the second issue sometime this week - I had realised that when re-reading the thread.

Both will be in Beta 1, hopefully by the end of the month.
Jul 14, 2015 at 12:20 PM
Scratch that... http://.* doesn't work. I guess wanted to believe regex's were supported but of course they aren't - just wildcards. While the http://.* does allow Browser Chooser 2 to be opened for configuration, it no longer works as a "default browser" selection. So for now I'm putting it back to http://* and living with the fact that I will have to change the XML file if I want to make a configuration change.
Jul 24, 2015 at 7:20 AM
Edited Jul 24, 2015 at 7:20 AM
Just to let you know, I just got β1 through the auto update function. Nifty!

The auto URL's now seem to work fine with http://* as last entry and when I click the exe BC2 opened without URL so I am able to edit the settings. Reordering the items works nicely as well.

Once I have used it for a while I will get back here and let you know if I found anything and/or write a nice review.

Thanks again for your efforts and mentioning me in the release notes, really to much honour :)